Which dessicant unit would you reccommend?

and clean, dry compressed air.

Moderator: Hub

Which dessicant unit would you reccommend?

Postby ryanbrown999 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:06 am

Hub, I am going to purchase a new dessicant unit for our booth at work and I was wanting your opinion on which one you would recommend? We use a rotary screw compresor with dryer unit attached if it matters. The two I am looking at are the Sharpe 6760 and the RTI Eliminator II E4000. The cfm rating on the Sharpe is higher, but I am not for sure if it makes that much of a difference. Also, I do you think one of these units will make a big difference in the appearance of the paint? Thanks in advance!
ryanbrown999
LPH-50

Refer - driers plus desiccant can produce zero dry air

Postby Hub » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:35 am

Good Morning Ryan,
Thank you for your question. refrigerator air dryers are good...BUT a refer with a 35 degree dew point still leaves the air containing 20 to 30% CAH (compressed air humidity) and for paint (especially clears) to preform at their optimum the CAH should be less than 10%.

Either the Sharpe or RTi if properly installed and maintained will produce that range of clean dry air.

The Sharpe uses loose desiccant beads that can be messy and the RTi uses a desiccant catridge.

No advantage one over the other air wise - one advantage the RTi has is the ease of maintenance

You will notice a consistant ease of appilcation, less texture, better gloss and DOI.

Please let me know what you deside and share your experiences with me too.
Cheers,
"HUB" :)
Hub
Air Authority

Postby ryanbrown999 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:25 pm

Do you know anything about the units made by Sata? They seem very expensive and they do not have a desiccant unit. Is there another way of removing CAH or are they just not doing it? Also the Sharpe has 3 filters and the RTI has 2, can you clarify why? My understanding is that one is for water, one for oil, and the desiccant for CAH. How does the RTI filter water and oil with one filter? I have never put much thought into the air system because I figured that a refrigerated dryer and the coalescing (spelling?) filter and water filter that comes with the compressor was enough. I have just recently started to look into this matter further and now I think I was wrong in thinking that what I had was enough.

Sorry if this is long winded but there aren't to many people with very much knowledge about this that aren't trying to sell you their brand of product. It seems that you have a vast amount of knowledge on this matter I figured this was the place to come. Thanks in advance!
ryanbrown999
LPH-50

CAH (compressed air humidity)

Postby Hub » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:22 am

Hello Ryan,
There are two ways to remove CAH - either W/desiccant or W/a membrane dryer............so if the brand you are looking at does not have either - they're function will be limited to removing liquid oil, water and particulate...........some encompass a coalescer to remove oil in a vapor form. BUT NOT CAH!

Sharpes stage one removes liquid oil, water & particulate down to 5 microns - stage two is a coalescer to remove oil in a vapor form & particulate down to .01 microns.

RTi's stage one is designed to perform all those functions in one unit.

Some symptoms that may appear when too much CAH is present - are
texture, starved look, poor gloss, poor DOI, uncured finish, fast film set, poor durability, won't hold a gloss after buffing and THE LIST GOES ON.

As you can see CLEAN DRY AIR is an important ingredient for successful refinish work.

Cheers,
"HUB" :)
Hub
Air Authority

Return to Air compressors