compressor size

and clean, dry compressed air.

Moderator: Hub

Postby Hub » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:28 pm

Good Morning D.R.
Use the following formula to evaluate your needs!

List all equipment in the shop requiring air.

Beside each piece of equipment, list the PSI & CFM requirements.
Add the the CFM of all the equipment to be used at one time. This will determine the CFM needed.

Add 25% for line loss & possible addition of new air tools.

Total the needed CFM including the 25% cushion and choose a compressor that will fit those needs.

Compressor location.

For longevity, compressor location must be - well ventilated, clean, dry & easily accessible for maintenance. (Don't forget the noise factor)

Piping of compressed air is critical. Suggestion; Please see our compressed air piping information on the HUB home page.

Cheers,
"HUB" :)
Hub
Air Authority

Postby porchdog » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:53 pm

where is your home page hub ?
porchdog
LPH-50

air compressor preference

Postby Hub » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:19 pm

Good Morning D.R.
My choice would be the rotary screw and my reasons are; they are more efficient, run cooler and quieter.

Rotary screw compressors are sometimes sold without storage tanks. My advise is to buy one with a tank. Receiver tanks have four main functions
Air storage - cool the air - collect condensation - & help prevent surging.
These are all important especially in the paint shop.

For a visual - Please click the product button & then on mainline compressor & dryer systems.

Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

HUB HOME PAGE

Postby Hub » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:30 pm

Good afternoon Porchdog,
How is everything doing in your part of the world?

When you click on ask HUB that takes you to my home page.
On the left side of that screen you'll see a list of subjects that might be of interest. :wink:
Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby porchdog » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:33 am

i dont see any " ask hub". all i see is the aset message board. i'm lost in cyber space !!
porchdog
LPH-50

Postby D71 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:27 pm

Deleted
Last edited by D71 on Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
D71
LPH-50

Postby porchdog » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:06 pm

all i had was a link to the forums. not the home page. cool hub ! all kinds of goodies. hope to get the vettes started soon. still having trouble with the blasting pots.
porchdog
LPH-50

HUB HOME PAGE

Postby Hub » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:18 pm

Thank you D71 - you beat me to it.

Good Morning Porchdog,
I'm glad you found the home page.
Best get with the vette or it might start to root. :lol: Whats with the blasters?
Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby porchdog » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:22 pm

i built my own blast hoppers. still have some bugs to work out. i use plastic medea for paint removal and starblast for rust. the vettes are in a holding pattern untill i get the blast room working.
porchdog
LPH-50

Blasters

Postby Hub » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:33 pm

OK,
Thats cool that you can build your own stuff. The only thing I know besides auto paint is landscaping. Its physical, but its my relaxation.
Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby porchdog » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:53 pm

i'm country hub. i build my own house,barn whatever. bull headed that way. buily my spraybooth ,blastbooth and the building they're in.
porchdog
LPH-50

Build your own

Postby Hub » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:19 pm

Thats great,
Best get it all done while you are young.
"HUB"
Hub
Air Authority

Postby porchdog » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:33 pm

believe me at 54 i dont feel too young anymore.
porchdog
LPH-50

Re: compressor size

Postby DFHarley19 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:13 pm

Ok, I am new to this. All I want to paint is motorcycles and will not paint on the cars or other big projects. I am assuming that the biggest single part to paint is a 6 gallon gas tank and it will be done in my garage. This will not be daily routine. I will be using motorcycle lift and simply air tools probably 10 times per month. If my painting skills become superior then I could work part time.

If I want a decent quality spray setup that can handle the basecoat, clear coat, metallic, xirallic and pearl paints to achieve the best color match and performance. It’s obviously I am expecting way above than what I should have. The reason for this is that I am looking for a new air compressor. I look at the spray guns, motorcycle lift and air tools I plan on using and the CFM requirements, and then get a compressor that can, at the very least, match or exceed the requirements. I don’t know which spray guns I need as I mentioned above.

As I mentioned above, the biggest single part to paint is a 6 gallon gas tank. I think Puma 3-HP 60-Gallon Single-Stage Air Compressor is enough for me. I understand that if I get something that can barely handle the spray gun, it will be working full time, so it's always better to go as big as you can. That is main reason why I am here to ask you this question. Will Puma 3-HP (12 CFM at 90 psi, 13.5 CFM at 40psi) air compressor suitable my needs? What kind of metallic and pearl spray gun I should have?

I wouldn't think you have anything better to do with your time than help me, so thanks for helping me!

DFHarley19 :P
DFHarley19
LPH-50

Re: compressor size

Postby Hub » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:06 am

DFHarley19 wrote:Ok, I am new to this. All I want to paint is motorcycles and will not paint on the cars or other big projects. I am assuming that the biggest single part to paint is a 6 gallon gas tank and it will be done in my garage.

I wouldn't think you have anything better to do with your time than help me, so thanks for helping me!

DFHarley19 :P

Hi Harley,
The Puma should be more than ample. 2 great spray guns that would work for you - first choice the Anest Iwata LPH300 compact gun with a 1.3 fluid nozzle/ LVB AIR CAP combination - this set up will spray all those hard to spray metallic & Micas and it only requires 8.3 CFM. Second choice is the LPH 80 mini gun with a 1.2 fluid nozzle and an E4 air cap, this gun is small BUT its no toy it will spray right up there with the big boys and only requires 1.8 CFM.
if you'd like a catalog, just give me a shout.
Cheers,
"HUB"
Hub
Air Authority

Next

Return to Air compressors