Supplied Air Hood or Full Face Mask

and clean, dry compressed air.

Moderator: Hub

Ambient air movement

Postby Hub » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:36 am

Wouldn't the longevity also depend on the air make up system and the type of spray cabin - downdraft, sidedraft, or crossdraft? S T did you ever share with the type you spray in?

\Thank you all for making this forum INFORMATIVE & FUN.

Cheers,
"HUB" :)
Hub
Air Authority

Postby grits » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:09 am

S T

My booth is not as sophisticated as what most of yall use. I keep my masks in a sealer bag when they are not in use. I treat my filters like things in my refrigerator, "when in doubt, throw it out".

I have survived without a scratch in a very hazardous industry my entire life. I have always done my best to be careful but I find, the older I get, the more cautious I am.

When I was in high school, I worked for the U of A Rice Branch Experiment Station (govt). We sprayed some pretty nasty chemicals with hand sprayers with no protection. We would wear compressed air tanks on our back and two of us would walk a spray boom across test plots. The lab assistant would time us with a stopwatch. Today, everyone would be wearing a space suit. I have only had cancer once and I want to protect myself every way I can. My aftershave this time of year is 30 sunblock. I wear a hat with a wide brim and I am double careful around equipment. Accidents are over with before anyone even knows it has happened.

I guess the point I am trying to make is the label, in my opinion, is a minimum standard of safety. There are many unknowns. I feel it is everyone's personal responsibility to take added precautions. Most of it is just common sense.

This is off topic but I want to interject this. Be careful with chemicals you use in your yard or garden. Don't think just because someplace like Home Depot sells it makes it harmless. Read the label. There are pesticides and herbicides you can buy and apply in you yard that I cannot legally apply on my farm. It is the government opinion it is safe for you children to play in it but it is not safe for trained and licenced applicators to use in a professional environment. Go figure.

Grits
No One on their death bed ever said "I wish I had spent more time working".
grits
LPH-50

Postby SprayTech » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:37 am

Well Hub , I spray in a 25 year old Down Draft ( ASE , i think ) , we keep it serviced , I change Floor filters every 2 weeks , and we have a filter service change the Roof intake filters the first of every month , and the Ceiling filters every 6 months . ( I get the joy of changing those too )
I still have the fresh Air system but I quit using it because of that bout with Pneumonia , took me forever to get over it .

It has a million BTU furnace on the back of it , cook my PPG at 140 for 30 - 40 minutes . ( DBC & Global Clear )

The other Dealership I worked at for 15 years , we had a new US Italia , and a Spray Bake , I loved the US Italia .
SprayTech
LPH-100

Re: Supplied Air Hood or Full Face Mask

Postby efraim » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:55 pm

Stretch wrote:Just looking for some opinions from those using supplied air respirators. I'm about to make a purchase and have done quite a bit of research. I'm leaning towards an S.A.S. system but can't decide on a hood or full face mask.

I've used a sandblast hood before and didn't really like it. It didn't seem to move as well as I'd hoped even with a head strap. It also seemed huge. I paint motorcycle and bicycle frames and feel the hood would hinder me from getting in close to look in all the tight spots.

I like the SAS full face mask with the hose that points back and wraps over your shoulder. Just never used a full face mask before. I can't seem to find anyone local that stocks them for me to test fit.

Any feedback or opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks-Stretch

Hi Stretched, a full face mask might be more appropriate and safe, you might want to check which one is better, here http://www.respirated.com, I hope this helps :)
efraim
LPH-50

Postby Andy T » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:35 pm

efraim wrote: I hope this helps :)

Helpful yes, but since the question was asked almost four years ago, I reckon he'll have it covered by now ;)
Andy T
LPH-100

Postby Hub » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:19 pm

Andy T wrote:

Helpful yes, but since the question was asked almost four years ago, I reckon he'll have it covered by now ;)

Hello Andy,
Sometimes things take time, Right :roll:

Cheers,
"HUB" :lol:
Hub
Air Authority

Postby Hub » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:19 pm

Andy T wrote:

Hello Andy,
Sometimes things take time, Right :roll:

Cheers,
"HUB" :lol:
Hub
Air Authority

Previous

Return to Air compressors