Making my own compressor for the LPH-50 and LPH-80

and clean, dry compressed air.

Moderator: Hub

Making my own compressor for the LPH-50 and LPH-80

Postby ESP Graphics » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 am

I'm trying to set up a somewhat portable compressor system for the LPH-50/80 series guns. I need to run it in a few different locations and even the larger airbrush style compressors seem to marginally meet the CFM requirements.

I came across a Rietschle 2688CE44 series pump in my "collection". It's a pretty high-end pump in the $600-700 range, but I often see them on ebay for $150-200. I came across mine in an auction lot of spray parts (bought the lot of parts for a sonic cleaner and got the pump for free). I figured it might work as it's high CFM (for a small virtually silent compressor) at roughly 3.0CFM @ 18psi. Only downside is that it maxes out at 25psi, so it will kick on pretty often as it can't really load the 5gal tank I have for it. That's fine by me because I basically just wanted it to be silent when off the trigger.

Right now I'm at the stage of shopping for pressure switches. I'm leaning towards a digital unit I found that has programmable high/low set points.

I'll post some pics as I progress. I just thought somebody may be interested. :)

Dennis
ESP Graphics
LPH-50

Re: Making my own compressor for the LPH-50 and LPH-80

Postby Hub » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:47 am

ESP Graphics wrote:I'm trying to set up a somewhat portable compressor system for the LPH-50/80 series guns. I need to run it in a few different locations and even the larger airbrush style compressors seem to marginally meet the CFM requirements.

I came across a Rietschle 2688CE44 series pump in my "collection". It's a pretty high-end pump in the $600-700 range, but I often see them on ebay for $150-200. I came across mine in an auction lot of spray parts (bought the lot of parts for a sonic cleaner and got the pump for free). I figured it might work as it's high CFM (for a small virtually silent compressor) at roughly 3.0CFM @ 18psi. Only downside is that it maxes out at 25psi, so it will kick on pretty often as it can't really load the 5gal tank I have for it. That's fine by me because I basically just wanted it to be silent when off the trigger.

Right now I'm at the stage of shopping for pressure switches. I'm leaning towards a digital unit I found that has programmable high/low set points.

I'll post some pics as I progress. I just thought somebody may be interested. :)

Dennis

We'll watch for the pix
Hub
Air Authority

Postby ESP Graphics » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:56 am

Here's a pic of the compressor. Looks like your standard twin cylinder, but has no problem with continuous duty while at load. It also has a capacitor that aids in starting and maintaining a consistent operating rpm.

Here's the digital switch I'm waiting on (shipping from Texas) -

It's normally used in PLC systems to create a fault or warning that a pressure is too high or low. They usually output to a printed circuit board or warning light to indicate a fault or problem.

They're kind of neat because you can set the high and low warnings for any given psi. For this situation, it will have a "cut-in" pressure set at 15psi and a "cut-out" pressure set at 24psi. Again, the switch just gives a warning signal at those pressures, but a relay will give it the cut-in/out signal to the compressor.

Hopefully it all comes together and gives me the compressor I'm looking for to fill the void I have!
ESP Graphics
LPH-50

Re: Making my own compressor for the LPH-50 and LPH-80

Postby Hub » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:00 pm

ESP Graphics wrote:I'm trying to set up a somewhat portable compressor system for the LPH-50/80 series guns. I need to run it in a few different locations and even the larger airbrush style compressors seem to marginally meet the CFM requirements.

Dennis

Looks like a quality piece I hope you can get to fill your needs,
Good Luck,
"HUB" :)
Hub
Air Authority

Return to Air compressors