Is copper safe for 175PSI distribution system?

and clean, dry compressed air.

Moderator: Hub

Is copper safe for 175PSI distribution system?

Postby dgbingham » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Is type K or L copper pipe safe for distributing air at 175 PSI ? How does pipe size and air temperature affect the answer? I have always used galvanized pipe but there is a lot of corrosion and trash in the lines over time.
Don
dgbingham
LPH-50

Re: Is copper safe for 175PSI distribution system?

Postby Hub » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:39 am

dgbingham wrote:Is type K or L copper pipe safe for distributing air at 175 PSI ? How does pipe size and air temperature affect the answer? I have always used galvanized pipe but there is a lot of corrosion and trash in the lines over time.

Yes on quesrtion 1

Question 2 - you did not state an ID size or a temperature range, so I'll give a couple of examples.

Working pressure PSIG for L type one inch @ 150 degrees F - is 440 and 410 @ 200 degrees F

K - type for the same scenario is 575 at 150 f and 545 at 200 degrees f

Smaller ID's will withstand higher pressures - but according to my knowledge - you'd be safe at 175 PSIG up to 6 inch ID.

Cheers,

"HUB" :)
Last edited by Hub on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hub
Air Authority

Postby chally426 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:06 am

What would be the best copper pipe and size to run. So you just solder the joints like if used for water. I'm getting ready to change my whole system and want to go with a LPH 400. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,,,,,
chally426
LPH-50

HUB COMMENT

Postby Hub » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:16 am

chally426 wrote:What would be the best copper pipe and size to run. So you just solder the joints like if used for water. I'm getting ready to change my whole system and want to go with a LPH 400. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,,,,,

What is the CFM rating of your compressor and what are the PSI on & off limits? What material do you plan to spray with the LPH400?
Home Depot or Lowes have pre soldered copper fittings - that makes it easier and not so messy.
"HUB"
Hub
Air Authority

Re: HUB COMMENT

Postby chally426 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:08 pm

Hub wrote:
chally426 wrote:What would be the best copper pipe and size to run. So you just solder the joints like if used for water. I'm getting ready to change my whole system and want to go with a LPH 400. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,,,,,

What is the CFM rating of your compressor and what are the PSI on & off limits? What material do you plan to spray with the LPH400?
Home Depot or Lowes have pre soldered copper fittings - that makes it easier and not so messy.
"HUB"

Thanks Hub, My compressor is a 5hp 80gal tank, 21 cfm @ 40 psi. I plan on painting cars with B/C. I've got some experience, just trying to get better end results and cut down on the sanding and buffing time
chally426
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:36 pm

chally426 wrote:
Hub wrote:

Thanks,,,,,

"HUB"

Thanks Hub, My compressor is a 5hp 80gal tank, 21 cfm @ 40 psi. I plan on painting cars with B/C. I've got some experience, just trying to get better end results and cut down on the sanding and buffing time

Nice compressor, is that 21 CFM rating free air (ACFM) or displacement.
Run 3/4 or 1 inch copper (bigger is better) that should serve you nicely.
Suggestion buy the LPH400LVX with a 1.3 or 1.4mm fluid nozzle- this configuration will spray both Base and Clear coats with ease. If you'd like a suggestion on the piping layout, post your email address on my PM
Cheers,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby chally426 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:14 am

Hub wrote:
chally426 wrote:
Hub wrote:

Thanks,,,,,

"HUB"

Suggestion buy the LPH400LVX with a 1.3 or 1.4mm fluid nozzle- this configuration will spray both Base and Clear coats with ease. If you'd like a suggestion on the piping layout, post your email address on my PM
Cheers,

I thought that was a lot also, but that what it says. It Say's 18.1 @ 90psi and also says 21 cfm and 40 psi, but it does just say cfm, not acfm.
It is an Ingersoll Rand model # SS5N5
As far as the copper lines, is there a certain type of copper I should look for. I was at Home Depot looking and they had 2 types, 10' stick of 3/4, one was 19.00 and the other was 27.00.
Also, should I use 3/8" fittings (these things are big ) and if I do, What about the in-line driers, are most of them at least 3/8 maybe 1/2" inlet and outlet. Are the gun regulators at least that size also and of coarse I assume there is a certain type hose also?
Thanks so much for your help, I will post me e-mail in your PM, also if you don't mind, when I get a little closer, Id like to maybe call you and ask maybe another million questions. I can talk a lot faster than I type.. :) :) :)
chally426
LPH-50

Postby chally426 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:26 am

Hub, My PM's dont seem to be going through, after I send them they are not in my sent folder but are in my outbox like they were never sent. Anyway, just in case, my e-mail is rhulett63@ymail.com and my garage is 24 x 24.

Thanks, For your help

Roger
chally426
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:29 am

chally426 wrote:
Hub wrote:
chally426 wrote:
Hub wrote:

Thanks,,,,,

"HUB"

Cheers,

I thought that was a lot also, but that what it says. It Say's 18.1 @ 90psi and also says 21 cfm and 40 psi, but it does just say cfm, not acfm.
It is an Ingersoll Rand model # SS5N5
As far as the copper lines, is there a certain type of copper I should look for. I was at Home Depot looking and they had 2 types, 10' stick of 3/4, one was 19.00 and the other was 27.00.
Also, should I use 3/8" fittings (these things are big ) and if I do, What about the in-line driers, are most of them at least 3/8 maybe 1/2" inlet and outlet. Are the gun regulators at least that size also and of coarse I assume there is a certain type hose also?
Thanks so much for your help, I will post me e-mail in your PM, also if you don't mind, when I get a little closer, Id like to maybe call you and ask maybe another million questions. I can talk a lot faster than I type.. :) :) :)

Go with either the K, L or M type copper pipe they all will withstand far more pressure than the 175 psi your compressor will generate - if you haven't reset the limits on your compressor,I think they are factory set - for on at 100 psi and off at 150 or 175. Ask Home depot about bursting strength. There are three types K, L ACR, & M - the difference btween the three is wall thickness - Just get the 1/4 inch quick couplers & nipples. The LPH400 only requires 9 CFN @ 16 PSI But I would suggest 3/8's air hose. SLOW typer :?: I think I my have the corner on that one - I use the Columbus menthod - decover & land
Cheers & check your E,
Hub
Air Authority

Postby chally426 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Thanks Hub, I'll let you know as soon as I get started. what would you recommend as for as a drier in the 150 - 200.00 range?
Thanks,
Roger
chally426
LPH-50

Postby Hub » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:16 pm

chally426 wrote:Thanks Hub, I'll let you know as soon as I get started. what would you recommend as for as a drier in the 150 - 200.00 range?
Thanks,
Roger

Hello Roger,
When you say drier - do you mean desiccant or Membrane that will give you zero dry air or did you mean a water seperater - that removes liquid oil and water. If we pipe correctly you could get by with a good seperator/ coalescer.
Cheers,
"HUB"
Hub
Air Authority

Postby chally426 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:26 am

Sorry Hub, I meant separator
chally426
LPH-50

HUB COMMENT

Postby Hub » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:38 am

chally426 wrote:Sorry Hub, I meant separator

Hey Okay When you get ready we'll draw up some piping and filtering suggestions